What Is BOTOX?
BOTOX and similar products, such as Dysport®, work by relaxing specific muscles responsible for lines or wrinkles. These “expression lines” or dynamic wrinkles associated with repeated facial movements such as squinting, smiling, frowning, or elevating the brows, develop gradually throughout our lives.
What Does BOTOX Treat?
BOTOX treats an array of lines and wrinkles caused by repeated facial expressions (dynamic wrinkles), which first appear in our late 20s or early 30s. These include:
- Crow’s feet at the outer corners of the eyes
- Worry lines between the eyebrows (11s)
- Horizontal forehead wrinkles
Other cosmetic uses for BOTOX include jawline slimming, reducing the appearance of “bunny lines” on the bridge of the nose, and minimizing a dimpled appearance on the chin.
Do BOTOX Injections Hurt?
The needles we use for BOTOX injections are extremely thin and cause a brief twinge during the treatment. Patients may ask to have a topical numbing cream applied about 30 minutes before their procedure if they have a low tolerance for discomfort.
What Is Recovery Like After BOTOX Injections?
Patients rarely need any downtime following their BOTOX appointments and can return to work or other regular activities immediately after leaving Rejuvené.
We do advise patients to avoid:
- Lying down during the first 90 minutes after the procedure. Keeping your head elevated minimizes the risk of having BOTOX spread before it binds to the targeted muscle.
- Exercising for 24 hours. Raising your heart rate increases circulation which can also result in BOTOX spreading from the injection site.
- Rubbing the treatment area for 4 hours. Again, we want to avoid anything that may disperse the medication away from the targeted muscles.
Bruising is always possible after injections, but patients can reduce the risk of bruising by avoiding blood-thinning products during the week before their appointments. These include alcohol, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs), like aspirin and ibuprofen, fish oil, and vitamin E supplements.